Friday, November 12, 2010

The Myspace Shout Out, also known as "The Whole Truth About Our Half-Truth"

The half-truth.
What's a half-truth, you may ask? It's not quite the whole truth, yet not a lie. Let me supply you with an example....

People always ask how Brandon and I met. I assume this is because Brandon is from Chicago and I was raised in Knoxville. So...how did Brandon and I meet?

My half-truth answer? In a bar (classy..I know).

The truth? The whole truth (and nothing but the truth)? We met online. Myspace, to be exact.

You may be asking yourself how meeting in a bar is our half-truth. The first time Brandon and I actually met in person was....obviously....in a bar. Barley's Taproom and Pizzeria. See....it's not a lie. It is a partial truth...more true than false.

Brandon and I corresponded via Myspace for many months before deciding to meet up in person. I was so nervous the night he and I met. I was worried he wouldn't think I looked the same as my Myspace pictures or I wasn't as witty as our messages. Or...what if he wasn't as funny. Or worse, what if he was a psycho (you really would have thought that would have been my first concern). But, in reality, that is most people's concern....meeting people online will lead you to a complete lunatic.

I can understand why meeting people on the internet carries a stigma. It's odd, and risky, and not very traditional (although nothing about Brandon and I has been very traditional). Having said that, I would encourage people to give meeting others online a chance. I mean, be smart about it. Don't meet up with your new friend by yourself, at his house, in the woods. The night Brandon and I met at Barley's I had 3 friends with me, as my safety net.

But...yeah....when people ask how we met, we give them our half-truth- in a bar. The way I see it, people generally figure out we are pretty weird shortly after meeting us, no need to freak them out from the very start. Although sometimes we tell people we met in church...it just sounds a little more respectable.

All I know is that meeting Brandon (both online and in person) has made my life extraordinary! Not only is he funny, he is hilarious. That's my favorite thing about Brandon...he makes me laugh, all the time, every single day. Maybe we would have crossed paths at some other time in our lives, had we not met online. But, we did meet online....and for that, I am thankful! So, there it is, our Myspace shout out, otherwise known as the whole truth about our half-truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment