Monday, February 4, 2013

The truth behind Metformin and IVF

Written in January 2013.....

Ugh. Although "ugh" isn't likely considered a complete sentence on it's own, it is my current physical and mental state, so I am allowing it.  If only just this once.

At the beginning of this year my sweet husband and I started the journey and process to IVF #2.   And, just like it went the first time around, the process starts with a cycle.  Followed that day or soon there after with birth control and metformin.  (I realize there are those who do not follow this exact regiment for IVF....so our protocols may be a little off). 

Metformin.  Ahh, metformin.  I hate this drug with a passion.  Because of this drug I still cannot even smell greek yogurt with out feeling like I want to vomit.  I couldn't even look at chicken for the first 6 months of my pregnancy without wanting to jump off a building.  Wonder if that's normal?

For those that don't know, Metformin can be used to regulate sugar levels, hormones, ovulation cycles and reduce the risk of miscarriages, thus improving pregnancy rates in IVF.  It is a drug more commonly used in women who suffer from PCOS and who are preparing for IVF. 

The dear dear side effects of metformin are:

Nausea. (GIANT check)
Loss of appetite. (nope...the complete opposite)
Diarrhea. (check)
A metallic taste (and no...that's weird)

And the best part about these side effects?  Eating carbs seems to kick them into high gear!  So if you decide to have that english muffin for breakfast, you should expect to spend quite a bit of quality time in the bathroom the rest of the morning. 

Last time around (known from this point on as IVF #1) I was sick as a dog on Metformin.  My fertility doctor and nurses kept saying "eat low/no carb and high protein" and you will feel much better.  They suggested yogurt, chicken, cottage cheese, any kind of cheese, and protein protein protein.  So if you are wondering why greek yogurt and chicken made me want to turn tail and run...it's because those two things were the only foods I felt comfortable eating.  All the time.  Like...every meal.  And after about 2 months of that, I didn't ever ever ever want to see them ever again.  I broke up with them, and I was serious! 

So here we are, on to IVF #2, and I bet you can guess what my doctor and nurses are suggesting I eat!?    I don't know what to do.  I never experienced morning sickness with my first pregnancy (Thank you, Lord), but I am guessing this is pretty close to what morning sickness must feel like.  I am constantly dealing with nausea.  All day.  To the point where my mouth is watering and I am sure it's going to be a mad dash to the toilet.  But...all the while...I am SOOOOO hungry.  I want to eat EVERYTHING that has carbs.  Bread....potatoes....crackers....cereal.  Seriously, you don't want to know what I would do for an english muffin right now! 

It's supposed to get better.  And I know from experience that it does.  But, man oh man, it seems to be taking it's sweet time getting to that "better point". 

1 comment:

  1. IVF procedures can be expensive, and many couples have insurance plans that will not cover the cost of treatments for In Vitro Fertilization. IVF doctors will often transfer more than one embryo per cycle to increase the odds of conception.

    IVF Cost

    ReplyDelete