Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The things strangers now know about me....

Sometimes I hate going into car service centers or oil change places or anywhere where the majority of the staff is male. Sometimes. (Read: this morning) Why is it that when I go into these places I feel like I am being oggled? Is that a woman's lack of confidence and paranoia? Or is it because it is actually happening and I can feel the eyes of strangers on me? Maybe it's a combination of both?

This morning I dropped my truck off at a Chevy dealership to have it worked on. Like most dealership service areas, it was all men. And they were all hanging out (read: standing around) and drinking their coffee (and in my mind...waiting for someone to stare at).

These days I find myself large- ALL OVER. Things that were already big, are even bigger. And obviously, things that fit before are now a little tighter. I can't help but be overly self-conscious these days, so naturally I felt as though my giant belly and larger "other parts" (ahem) were being noticed. After leaving my keys with service, calling my ride, and sitting outside for 15 minutes, the service consultant approached me. He let me know that the part my car needed would have to be ordered and wouldn't be available until tomorrow.

To retrieve my car, I had to go back into service and ask for it to be brought back around. Again, my paranoia took hold and I swear I felt eyes on me....the whole time. The young man who brought my car back to me was extremely kind. He was even extremely patient when he witnessed me accidentally pour 20 ounces of ice water in the front seat of my car. He was even more patient after offering to go get me paper towels and a seat cover. It was quite sweet of him and I was completely grateful....and mortified. And yet, somewhat relieved that he was no longer starting at my larger parts, but instead looking at me with great pity. It was then that he decided to introduce himself as the gentleman who would be doing the work on my car tomorrow. Terrific (I feel like a complete ass).

Eventually I made it to the office this morning. It has just been one of those days where I felt like starting over or going home and crawling back into bed might be a better option. Once inside I was happily greeted by my dear friend and co-worker, Samantha. One of the first things Samantha says to me this morning is "Are you wearing polka-dotted panties under your dress?" Ummmm....splendid. This whole morning the entire world has had a great view of my undies.....because apparently there are parts of my dress that are see through and today I chose NOT to wear a slip (mostly because it doesn't fit over my ever-growing bottom anymore).

I am not sure which is worse.....

Feeling a slight bit justified that maybe it was not paranoia, but actually people staring at the unfortunate girl who unknowingly was flashing her polka-dotted panties to every Chevy service crew member.....

OR

Or being that unfortunate girl who was unknowingly flashing my polka-dotted panties to every Chevy service crew member.

I believe this is one of those lose/lose situations. Oh, but don't worry, there is good news here....I get to go back tomorrow. I wonder if they will remember me?


Please Note: I am well aware that all male work places are not this way. I am also well aware that the chances of people looking at a nearly 7 month pregnant me are very slim and my paranoia and lack of self-confidence are most likely the major problems here. Yeah...I am aware...so stop thinking badly of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment