Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Autumn Joy

What have I been doing? So much(said with big hand gestures). This is just a busy time of year for everyone (I think), and Brandon and I are definitely included in that everyone.

October is probably my favorite month of the year. Each October my brain sends a signal to my heart that summer is officially over and my body can begin to prepare for Autumn. Ahhh, sweet Autumn. Between the leaves changing colors, Starbucks pumpkin chai latte (my newest obsession...you have to ask for it by name because you won't find it on any menu-at least not here in Knoxville), and Halloween; October is packed full of my favorite things. *Sitting here at my computer I just did a little rendition of "My favorite things" from The Sound of Music, which by the way happens to be another of my favorite things.

October and Halloween are like the Gate Keepers of the Holidays. After standing in line all year long, Halloween finally ushers you to the front of the line and lets you get your foot in the door. Once inside, it's a landslide of Holiday Blur. Where time goes way too fast and before you know it you are trading in your Halloween costume for New Year's Eve party hats.
*Speaking of Halloween Costumes- Ours are going to be homemade this year and super awesome- at least for those of you with (really) open minds and (really) good senses of humor. That is your official warning. Pictures will be posted in the near future.

Halloween is my favorite holiday AND YES I CONSIDER IT A HOLIDAY. Each year I add a little extra to our decorations and agendas and hope that when we have kids, they too will enjoy scaring the neighbors and getting into this wonderful time of year.
I don't have any pictures of our decorations right now, but will add some soon.

One of our favorite October events is our Annual Pumpkin Carving Party. Each year we get our friends and family together and....bake brownies. No...we carve pumpkins (and no, the name of the party is NOT deceiving).

That's my "B" for Bice


Group shot (only missing a few at this point)


Living in East Tennessee has many year 'round benefits. Each fall we get to watch, basically from our front porch, as the mountains change colors. Taking advantage of the changing leaves is made simple by our easy access mountains.
Just 20 miles from my driveway is House Mountain. A beautiful spot to hike anytime of year, although I would not suggest going in July/August, unless you just enjoy sweating through your clothes and fighting off bugs. Last weekend I enjoyed a less sweaty and less buggy hike with a good friend and was charmed by these gorgeous mountain views.







Today, I adventured up to Max Patch right along the NC - TN state line. Although a little longer drive than last week this place is spectacular. Once you park the car it's less of a hike and more of a casual walk to see views most people only experience through books, the internet, or blogs (ahem). I am not sure I have the proper words to describe this place, so instead....I will just show you the pictures.















And finally.....some pictures from a beautiful wedding Brandon and I attended a few weeks back and our evening at the Pumpkin Patch.

Brandon and I at the VA wedding


October is also the month of my Dad's Birthday! Happy Birthday Dad! We love you! My Dad and Brandon look so handsome....


Look how cute my Mom and Dad are....












Lovely October! I am going to miss you once you go. I am a little sad about it already, but I plan to squeeze every ounce of Autumn Fabulousness out of you before Winter rolls into town. Thank you for always making me feel good and never letting me down, I certainly can't say that about Summer (I scoff at you, Summer...and I am giving you the stink eye).

No comments:

Post a Comment