Friday, October 29, 2010

Race for the Cure

This weekend, tomorrow to be exact, is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Knoxville. This is a pretty big race/run/fun walk in Knoxville, as I am sure it's big in most cities.



The last time I ran in the Race for the Cure was in 2008. In 2008 I was still training (somewhat) for half marathons. I think my last half marathon was in early 2009...and trust me, I did not train enough, and it was NOT pretty.

Anywho...
I am nervous about tomorrow's race. I have not been running much lately and I am definitely not in the shape I was in two years ago. And, yes...I realize it's ONLY a 5K. But- I am extremely competitive! Although I am not sure who I am competing against. Myself, I guess? It would be great to beat my 2008 time (Ha,ha ha), but that's not going to happen. So I set myself a new goal time....and I laugh at that one, too. I guess I will just tell myself over and over again "It's less than 30 minutes of your life...just run!" I wish I could say that would make me run faster, but it will not.

This year my race bib will be "tattooed" with the names of my family and friends who are survivors. These are the names of women who have faced cancer, some more than once, and fought with everything they had. These women are everyday heroes! MY everyday heroes! And I am proud to know each and everyone of them.

Maybe while I am out on the course instead of telling myself it's only a half hour, I should remind myself that I am running for them, not for a time chip. I will be running for my family, friends, and all women who have yet to face this monster, for the ones who lost their battles, and the ones who continue to fight. Breast Cancer is a nasty disease and finding a cure is so important for our futures, and the futures or our families and friends.

The race is always fun and in the end, very emotional! Thank you to everyone who participates, not matter how big or small. And good luck to all participants! It's only 30 minutes of your life, right?

My Heroes: Aunt Laurie Ann, Aunt Bunny, Nannette K., and Cousin Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment