Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Patience

Patience has never been a trait of mine. When Brandon and I first started trying to get pregnant I could barely stand the TWW. I can't tell you how many times I took pregnancy tests, long before it was possible to even know. But, pregnancy tests are expensive, so that had to end!

I used to pray all the time for patience. I would always ask the Lord "Please teach me to be more patient" and not just in the TWW, but with co-workers and friends, and God's general plan for Brandon and I. Patience and Lauren Bice don't generally go well together in a sentence.

About 6 months ago I was at the gym in the cardio theater room watching Evan Almighty (of all movies). I had never seen it before and although I love Steve Carell and found the movie mildly entertaining....I had no idea it was about to change my outlook on patience.

At one point in the movie Steve Carell's character is questioning what God has asked him to do (build an ark) and the decisions he has made. God, played by Morgan Freeman, says this during the movie......

Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?

I nearly fell off the treadmill. And I know I cried (so glad the theater room is dark)! It was exactly what I needed to hear and seemed to fit our situation perfectly. I have stopped praying for patience and instead have started praying for and embracing my opportunities to be patient. I can't say it's made me a more patient person, but it's changed my outlook on certain situations.....and given me lots of comfort. Who knew a silly movie like Evan Almighty could do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment