Sunday, February 28, 2010

Travel Journal Entry...

In 2004 I traveled to Australia and New Zealand to visit JoElla, who was studying abroad. It was the most amazing trip. New Zealand is the most remarkably beautiful place I have ever seen. It's the type of place you see in your dreams, but prettier! In 2006 I spent two weeks traveling in Italy, with my mom, aunt, uncle, cousins, and of course JoElla and Ryan.
I kept a journal through both trips. And I am so glad I did! I recently decided I would open one of the journals to a random entry and post it on my blog...and of course leave my comments about this entry.
So...here is the entry I opened up to... (my actual written words, unaltered)
Tuesday, September 26
Mom woke me up at 6AM. I was glad I packed last night, it made my early morning that much easier. I was out of the house and at the train station by 6:45AM. Mom and I had a quick goodbye. I hope she will enjoy the rest of her week here and not stress too much.
This morning while I was waiting on my train, this man (who I can only assume was a drunken bum) attempted to cross the tracks right as the train was coming. Everyone on the platform was screaming "NO" and thankfully, when he attempted to scramble in front of an oncoming train, he stumbled and took several steps backwards out of the trains way. Seriously....he was within a foot of his life. I can only imagine how that would have ended the trip. Everyone on the platform was clutching their hearts, wide-eyed, and nervous. That was by far the craziest thing I have seen.


Now that I read this, I remember how insane the stumbler was on those train tracks. But, until the moment of reading it....I had completely forgotten that whole incident. How can something so intense be forgotten? And how I commented about how that would ended the trip. His? Mine? I would assume mine. Wow...I am so compassionate.
Although this was not the first time I had traveled alone, I found traveling through Europe alone so much more stressful than traveling to Australia. Obviously...it would be the language barrier. And...the airport in France. I will never travel through Paris (connecting that is)...Charles De Gaulle airport....I truly loathe you. Also..the fact that my luggage was lost both going and coming probably had a lot to do with the whole 'unpleasant' traveling experience.
But, once there....Italy was an amazing experience. I learned alot about Florence while there...the history is unbelievable.

The final sentence in this Italy journal...
My next destination....Ireland. I will be there soon! Hopefully in the next couple of years!
Ummm...that has not happened yet, but is on my upcoming to-do list. Along with visiting JoElla in Mexico and checking out Greece.

No comments:

Post a Comment