Friday, June 18, 2010

Sweet June

I spent this evening packing and prepping for the annual Ryan family beach vacation. It's my very favorite family tradition. The Ryan (and extended) family has been reunited every year for 31 years. Some of my fondest memories occur in this specific week each year.

I find it only fitting that one of my favorite memories from the beach includes my Dad. This memory was from my younger years. My Dad, and Mom, and uncles and cousins would all be out in the ocean,swimming. I would have been young enough to not brave the waves on my own. Each time a wave would come through, my Dad would lift me up and over the wave....so it wouldn't crash above me. I don't know why that has always stuck with me, but even now I recall it with sheer happiness.

My Dad and Mom have always been fossil hunters at the beach. Shells, stones, bones and sharks teeth are treasures to be found at Garden City, S.C. I do not know how young I was when I started collecting these fossils with my parents and brother, but I can NOT recall a single beach trip where this tradition did not occur. And now, it's one of my favorite things to do.

So, on this Father's Day, I want to say Thank You to my Dad. Thank you for being a part of my favorite childhood memories. Thank you for the endless support and patience. Thank you for the opportunities you and Mom have allowed Matt and I. We were lucky to have parents with personality and humor. We were blessed to have you for a Dad. A role model of hard work, much like Mom, but in different ways!

I love you, Dad! Although I am so much like Mom, I like to think I am a lot like you, too, Dad (although some of that may just be wishful thinking). I would be proud to be like either of you, as I am proud of who you both are!

I could never say enough to express how thankful I am for all you have done for us over the years. I hope you know how much we love you. This day is to honor you. Happy Father's Day!



With Love Always,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment