Monday, September 19, 2011

International and National pizza experiences OR Happy Anniversary

As Brandon and I were counting down the days to our 3rd Wedding Anniversary (which is today, by the way) we reminisced about when we met and started dating and even our wedding day.

After many months of communicating, Brandon and I finally met in person (the whole story can be found here http://thebicefamilyblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/myspace-shout-out.html). (Can someone please teach me how to put an old blog into a new blog with out actually having to paste the link directly....it would make me very very happy! I want to be able to say "the story is here" and the here is a direct link to the old blog.)

Anyway......I wondered how things might work for Brandon and I.  The week or so after we met up for the first time, I headed off to Italy for 2 weeks.  Brandon always says "I figured that was the last I would hear from you.  You would go to Italy and come back not thinking anything about me."  The truth was....I went to Italy and told my family about him.  I remember talking to my Aunt and telling her about this guy I had just spent an evening with, how he was different, and funny, and that I really like him.  Little did any of us know, he was the man I would end up spending the rest of my life with. 

While I was in Italy I was regularly updating my myspace blog (this was long before my days on Facebook or Blogger...back when blogging on myspace was cool).  Myspace was the regular form of communication between Brandon and I.  It was how we met, how we got to know one another and how he initially had me laughing out loud (before LOL was popular).  While over seas Brandon sent me a hilarious message about how he, too, was visiting Italy, in his own kitchen.  One night while I was away, Brandon had the authentic Italian experience by opening a bottle of Yellow Tail (which happens to be one of my cheap favorites)



and scorching (to the bottom of his oven) a Totino's pizza (which is, in my opinion, the worst cheap pizza you could ever eat). 


When I think back to my vacation in Italy, Brandon often reminds me, that he, too, spend a lovely evening in Italy.  It was much more lovely, I am sure, once the oven quit smoking and the burnt pizza was disposed of.


Brandon left for business in Chicago over the weekend.  He spent a couple of days at his parents home just south of Chicago and got up early this morning and headed into the city for a conference.  Brandon and I were engaged in the beautiful city of Chicago, and although it has been a huge part of his life growing up, it will always hold a special place in my heart, too.  When we visited Chicago he insisted on taking me to his favorite Chicago style pizzeria.  I was sure I would like it, although I had absolutely no idea how much I would love it.  It was, by far, the most delicious pizza I have ever tasted.  In my many months of pregnancy, I have often dreamt of a deep-dish Chicago Style pizza showing up at my door, hot and ready (some women dream of naked men, I dream of pizza).  Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try, we just can't get anywhere near the quality of Chicago style pizza in sweet little Knoxville, TN. 

Until now!  Yesterday while roughing the grocery store alone I stumbled upon my new favorite pizza.  Behold.....the Digiorno Personal sized Deep Dish Pizza (otherwise known as my new obsession).....

When browsing the instructions I noticed that there was an option to microwave this pizza.  Don't do this!  Who in their right mind would microwave a pizza?  I almost put the pizza back, just because they had this as an option.  Thankfully at the last second I noticed there were also oven cooking instructions and once again, all was right in my world. 

So, last night, in an attempt to have my very own Chicago experience, I heated the oven (the same oven that allowed Brandon his Italy experience...and the same oven that probably still has burnt cheese in the bottom from his Totino's pizza) and cooked my very first Digiorno deep dish pizza.  Let me just tell you......It was freaking AMAZING!  Get one.  Do it today....right now even....I'll wait.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't as good as the real thing, but sometimes we can't have the real thing.  Sometimes we have to go with the next best thing.....and in this case, it was a keeper.

Happy 3rd Wedding Anniversary, Brandon!  I wish I was in Chicago with you to celebrate!  Although we can't be there together, I am there in heart and spirit, and personal pizzas!  Thank you for being an amazing man, for all the love and support you give, and for being (already) an incredible father to our daughter!  You are a blessing in my life and you will be one in Josie's life, too! Thank you for nearly 5 years (in October) of laughter and fun and non-stop antics!  I never knew men like you actually existed....and I am forever grateful that you chose me as your wife!  Love you always!

No comments:

Post a Comment