Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer Firsts

This weekend was like our welcome to summer. Although the temperatures were not quite "summer-like" this weekend has been just the beginning.

Friday night I got my first mosquito bite. Yuck...I know. Living in the south we are accustomed to these nasty buggers, but I always enjoy those spring/early summer nights where the pests are not in attendance and you aren't constantly swatting or slapping your own skin to prevent the dreaded bite.

Saturday night was a night of two firsts. One, the first of what I am sure will be many visits to a new bar and BBQ grill not far from our house, Vernon's. Great bar food and live music on the weekends. This comfortable bar is made better by a mellow atmosphere and outdoor seating area, and diverse patrons. We enjoyed Vernon's and I have a feeling we will be back there soon.

Saturday night's second first (I know...right?) would be my first motorcycle ride this summer with Brandon. It was the perfect night for a ride. Where blue jeans and a t-shirt are enough to keep you comfortable, not cool. Where you can ride down a two mile stretch of road and experience 15 separate hot and cold areas, much like hot and cold spots you experience when swimming in lakes or oceans. It was a perfect night and the air was filled with a mixture of freshly cut grass and wild honeysuckle. And I am sure it was the first of many rides to come this summer.

Quick side note: It is a really good thing that I have had an abnormally large head my whole life. Because of this...many years ago, my neck was strengthened from constantly having to support this giant globe. And...because of this, thankfully, my neck is strong enough to support the even larger motorcycle helmet that I must wear to ride with Brandon. Why is it that the most protective helmets turn me instantly into a giant beach ball-headed alien....a walking dandelion, as my husband calls it? I really wish they could come up with a cute alternative to these ginormous helmets, ones that could also give you the comfort of knowing your giant noggin was being somewhat protected.

And my final first for this summer.....is an all time first for me. Nothing major, so don't get too excited. My first time incorporating Foxglove into my garden. I can not remember why I have not put this in my garden before....but I love it...and Brandon and I added two more plants today!

No comments:

Post a Comment