Sunday, May 2, 2010

Winding up at Wit's End

Some thoughts after another incredible sermon at Cokesbury....

Today, a member of our church choir said "At our wit's end....that's where God lives."

When I was in college, a guy I barely knew (and who barely knew me...obviously) called me a pessimist. It cut like a knife.

We all face daily frustrations and annoyances that can drive us crazy. Whether it's the person at work who chews with their mouth open, the terrible driver I am always stuck behind coming and going to work, or the kid down the street that insists on wearing skinny jeans and skateboarding in front of my house (this is a problem only because Noah is terrified of skateboards.....and skinny jeans...really..slightly ridiculous on males).

There are things in my everyday environment I just can't change or control. Instead of letting these things drive me nuts and push me closer and closer to the dreaded pessimist...I have decided to stop allowing these things to annoy me and start accepting a new attitude.

I wasn't put here to be pessimistic. Pessimism squashes our hopes. Pessimism makes our dreams unattainable. And in this world...I need my hope and live for my dreams.

I don't want to ever stop believing in the possibility (period). We all want to live in a world where hope flows freely and passion rules easily. At least...that's where I want to live.....so I have to put myself there. And if you are not ready to go there with me...then I have to leave you behind. I still love you...I just can't afford to waste any more time in the wrong state of mind. No worries though...I will send you a postcard!

No comments:

Post a Comment