Wednesday, December 29, 2010

They have arrived

The drugs that is (some of them)!

We had to order a bunch of our IVF medications (the injectables) from London. I picked the package up yesterday at the post office. CRAZY.

I read over the inserted documents, which basically only told me two things.
1. These drugs cause side effects including, but not limited to, migraines (I already get those), moodiness (check), bloating, nausea, tenderness, etc
*I have most of these side effects already...and I am not even on these drugs :)
2. These drugs can lead to multiple births (i.e. twins, triplets)
*Not sure why they had to add the example of twins and triplets (i.e. anyone taking these drugs already knows their increased chances of conceiving multiple births). One website I read actually said "You will have a 10 to 40 percent chance of conceiving twins or more with these fertility drugs". Ahhh...splendid.

We are counting down the days until we start our process (approximately 18 days) and it is quickly becoming real. I get more excited the closer we get to the start date. And now my nerves are kicking in.

One of the things I am a little (a lot) concerned about are the injections. I know we will get all the information and instructions we need to do this ourselves, but I am not really sure my steady (shaky) hands are capable of sticking a needle in my body everyday. And I am definitely not sure Brandon's gag reflect can tolerate injections. If nothing else, I expect comedy from the situation....and maybe a little pain.

Brandon has been a real trooper through all of this so far. I know he has some anxieties about the upcoming weeks, too, but he has handled it well. In typical southern style, I have to give him a preemptive "Bless His Heart".... because he is getting ready to have to deal with a woman who is not his normal wife. Once these medications are started, I will most likely turn into a she-beast...all hopped up on hormones and emotionally dysfunctional. Bless his heart, I know he will be amazing, as usual.

We consider ourselves lucky for the opportunity to try IVF. I always think about what couples did 30 years ago in this situation. I would assume they were told they could never have children and that was that. We know it's a blessing to have the technology available to give us a shot at IVF. We are hoping and praying things work out for the best.

It makes me laugh (nervously) to think that we may not even have a clue, at this moment, what the "best" situation might be for us. Who knows where this process takes us....all I know it that in the end, one way or another, we will be parents. Whether it be from a child I carry or one we are blessed with through adoption, either way.... I am ready. I know Brandon will be an amazing father and together we will make great parents.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us. Eighteen days (approximately) from now we start a new chapter in our lives. One we feel positive about! We are ready! I just hope the journey is ready for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment