Sunday, February 20, 2011

Expecting the Unexpected......

Just a quick blog to discuss some of the "interesting" things at come along with IVF. These are they things they don't tell you about in the IVF books. Or maybe they do.....I haven't read a single IVF book (maybe I should?).

One of the first things that really surprised me was how crumby all the medications made me feel. Although the shots do not appear to have any real side effect, the combination of birth control and metformin left me nauseous yet starving, yet not able to name a single item of food I wanted to eat. I was told my symptoms were similar to morning sickness of a pregnant woman, minus the pregnancy.

When our doctor told me I had to stop all physical activity I was shocked. No running, no cardio, no weight lifting classes. NO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY....aside from walking (*wahoo). Although I assumed I would have to take it easy directly after the retrieval and leading up to the transfer, I had no idea it would be necessary for me to stop activity over a week before the procedure.

The reason I can't do any activities is also my third unexpected thing about IVF. My ovaries get huge. "Like cannonballs," says my fertility doctor. Apparently, as we make as many eggs as we can, my ovaries get full and heavy. Any physical activity can actually make the cannonballs (ovaries) twist...which could lead to problems. Aside from potential of twisting, I can actually feel the fullness in my abdomen and pelvic area. The dr. says it will only get worse over the next week and a half and approximately one week after the retrieval it could be at it's worst. Causing discomfort, bloating, heaviness, nausea, and difficulty breathing. When the ovaries have no where to go, they push up....causing these symptoms. I feel the heaviness already and *can't wait to feel their full potential.

*sarcasm

No comments:

Post a Comment