Monday, February 28, 2011

Embryo Transfer

Since our retrieval last Wednesday, Brandon and I have both felt as though our bodies have been put through the ringer. Sore, uncomfortable, and sick. I knew I was in for trouble when my doctor called on Thursday and said "are you having any trouble breathing yet?" and then again on Friday when I told her I felt much better that day than the previous two days and she said "Don't get used to it, it's only going to get worse." I appreciated her honesty a lot less when I found myself "worse" Saturday and Sunday. No one can prepare you for the pain and bloating and discomfort that come after an egg retrieval. And apparently, when you have large ovaries like mine, the pain is even worse. I have spent the past three days in bed. Constantly fighting the nausea and vomiting and praying that I don't hiccup, because each time I do, it feels like my insides suffer a violent whiplash. Thankfully today I did feel a little better. Still bloated internally (so much so that I can't fit into clothing), but less pain. Sweet Brandon spent the weekend waiting on me, cleaning the house, preparing meals, and doing laundry. Maybe I should be sick more often.

Today we went back to the doctor and they transferred two embryos to my body. We are so excited. I had a small prayer and pep-talk with the embryos prior to transfer, so I am pretty sure they were aware of the game plan. It was uncomfortable, to say the least.....but it is over. As it turns out we do not think we will have quite as many embryos to freeze and we had initially hoped. It looks like we will be freezing 2-4. Brandon and I are both really happy with that number. We both feel like surely somewhere in these 4-6 embryos we can get a baby. I, too, am over joyed to have a couple to freeze, because I can honestly say, without a doubt, I would NEVER do an egg retrieval again (we wouldn't have to go through the whole egg retrieval process again to use frozen embryos).

I kept asking Brandon why we didn't know this process was so painful. People should really talk about it. It freaking hurts......bad. So, there you go, beware to those gearing up for the egg retrieval. Ask your doctor ahead of time what to expect, how many days to expect to take off work, how to relieve pain and the best ways to get through it. I was told today to expect a couple more weeks of bloating....WHAT? We just had no idea what we were in store for. It's not that we wouldn't have done it...we really didn't have a choice. But, maybe if I was better mentally prepared it would have been easier? But, who knows, maybe it would have been worse? All I know is that I am glad to be through the retrieval and now the transfer. We are keeping our fingers crossed for smooth sailing from this point on.

So now we just wait. Something Brandon and I have learned to do well. We will have a blood pregnancy test on 3/10 to determine if either of these little guys hung in there. And, then, we go from there.

Thanks to all of you for the warm thoughts and prayers. Every single one has helped, I promise.

**** PLEASE NOTE- the reason I was in so much pain after my egg retrieval is because I suffered from Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome. There are lots of women who have this procedure and don't have OHSS who have very few pains or aches after the fact! (Just didn't want to freak anyone out)****

No comments:

Post a Comment